For over 30 years, Cockpit has provided funded and subsidised studio spaces for talented craftspeople in London, along with in-house business support and coaching. Applications are now open for our September intake, with a number of funded places you can apply for listed below. The deadline for applications is 11th April.
- The Radcliffe Emerging Maker Award is for a maker from any craft discipline who has already reached a level of excellence in skill and is looking to take their practice to the next level. Past awardees include Patrizia Sascor, Hannah Refaat and Vanessa Hogge.
- The Glass Sellers’ Bursary is for a craftsperson working in warm or cold glass. Past awardees include Lulu Harrison.
- The Clothworkers’ Award helps new weavers to set up in business, and includes up to two years’ business support and shared studio space at Cockpit Deptford. The large shared space is equipped with a variety of looms and a dye area. Past awardees include Majeda Clarke, Alice Timmis, Jacob Monk, Lara Pain and Elizabeth Ashdown.
- The Turners Award offers a year’s studio space and use of a lathe and workbench. You’ll join a community of expert turners including Darren Appiagyei, Jason Lock and Eleanor Lakelin.
- The Leathersellers’ Award is open to makers working in leather looking to take their business to the next level and includes up to three years of support, including use of the Cockpit leather hub. Past awardees include Carl Fox, Yusuf Osman, Jesse Noy and Harry Owen.
- The Feltmakers’ Award offers milliners an opportunity to join Cockpit and develop their business. NB: felt does not necessarily need to be an essential ingredient. The selection panel includes award-winning milliner and Cockpit maker, Judy Bentinck. Past awardees include Lily Pouzet.
Applications are now open until 11th April, for studio placements starting September 2023. For further details and to apply, click here to visit the Awards and Bursaries page on the Cockpit website.